Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Superhero Wednesday! - Superman

This is going to become a thing on here. I'm a nerd, and I'm not really afraid to let everyone know it. So, every Wednesday, I'll post about a superhero. (I'll try to stick with DC because I like DC a WHOLE lot more than I like Marvel, but... We'll see... I also might get into the villains of the DC universe because they're all pretty dang awesome, too. Especially Darkseid. That dude is scary.)

I'll start with the original seven members of the Justice League, then move on to the rest of the Justice League as time goes on. (And if you're not familiar with the Justice League, there are a BUNCH of members, and they're all so amazing. And I'll pretty much just focus on the Justice League cartoon.)

Oh, and if I ship any members of the JL with anyone HARDCORE, I'll do a bonus post the next week JUST about the ship. Like, there are a few ships in Justice League that I ship SOOOO hard. But you'll just have to find out about those when they come up. *insert maniacal laugh here*

This week we'll start off with the big boy in blue himself: Superman.

First off, we all know that he's from Krypton, which blew up and he's the last Kryptonian. We all know his weakness is Kryptonite, but its power is blocked by iron, and so if you just put some iron in front of the Kryptonite, then he has all his powers back. However, his powers come from the radiation of our yellow sun. If put into a room with a red sun's radiation, he's powerless.

Don't get me wrong, I think Superman is pretty cool, but there are some things about him that just make me mad. Like the fact that Kryptonite can be blocked by iron. Like, what the heck? If he's going to have a weakness, LET IT BE A WEAKNESS. Don't give him a loophole to get out of that weakness!!!

However, there are some episodes of Justice League where I gain much respect for Supey. Such as the episode(s) "A Better World". It's a two-part episode, and it is PHENOMENAL. It's definitely one of my favorite episodes of the entire series.

It starts in an alternate universe where Superman kills Lex Luthor and then the team of superheroes takes over the world. And... It just shows a darker side of Superman that is just so awesome. It shows a darker side of the whole Justice League, because the Justice Lords are pretty much their evil counterparts. I think the thing I love most about it is their costumes. This is Superman's:
It's so much different than his regular costume that... UGH!!!! It's such a good episode. *fangirls and flails wildly*

But one thing that I really love about how DC portrays Superman is in the show Young Justice, which is about the younger versions of the superheroes in the Justice League. There's Kid Flash, Aqualad, Robin, Speedy, Superboy, Miss Martian, and many others.

But the thing about Superman and Superboy's relationship is * SOMEWHAT OF A SPOILER ALERT* that Superboy is Superman's clone, created by CADMUS, to destroy Superman if he ever goes rogue. So, of course, Superman is a pretty skeptical of Superboy. *END OF SPOLER* This picture pretty much captures the essence of their relationship:
It's just kind of adorable and sad because Superboy just wants to be loved by Superman because he considers the Superman to be his father figure, but Superman wants nothing to do with Superboy. And as the series progresses, it just gets more and more sad. But that's what makes an awesome TV show. All them feels, though...

Anyway, I think that's about it for this first edition of Superhero Wednesday. Let me know what you guys thought, and what your opinion of Superman is.

Next week will be about our favorite boy in black, Batman!!!
The voice of the BEST Batman, Kevin Conroy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment